If you operate a function space, it’s important that you have the permission you need for music to be used in the space.

OneMusic has made the process of getting the permission you need to use music easy - a OneMusic Functions Licence grants you or the people hiring your space permission to use virtually all commercially available music from anywhere in the world.

As the business authorising the use of music in your function space, it is your responsibility to obtain permission for the music used by people hiring the space.



0-49m2 $308.75 or $13.97
50-99m2 $370.51 or $15.04
100-149m2 $444.60 or $16.10
150-499m2 $568.09 or $17.19
500-999m2 $926.22 or $18.26
1000-1999m2 $1312.17 or $19.33
2000-4999m2 $1889.53 or $20.41
each additional 2000m2 (or part thereof) $308.75 or $13.97
$296.40 per annum per premise      
  • The per-day rate is subject to a minimum annual fee of $89.02 per function space
  • The OneMusic Functions licence does not cover any function where there is a charge for admission, or where performers are paid more than $5,000 (excl. GST). In these instances, it is the responsibility of the promoter or event organiser to obtain an event licence from both APRA and Recorded Music NZ.
  • Music Dubbing covers the reproduction and / or temporary storage (caching) of music copied for the purposes of public performance.
  • Rates include GST, and apply to the period 1 October 2019 – 30 September 2020. Rates increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on the 1st October each year.


What functions need to be included under the licence?

All functions that are not domestic functions need to be accounted for under the OneMusic Functions licence. Examples of events that need to be licensed under the Functions licence include meetings, presentations, awards, prizegivings, corporate celebrations and conferences.

What functions do not need to be included under the licence?

OneMusic (representing APRA and Recorded Music NZ) have granted an exemption to functions that are of a domestic nature held in commercial spaces. For this reason, you do not need to include domestic functions such as 21sts, engagement parties and weddings under your licence.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a music streaming service - why do I need a dubbing licence?

When you play music from a streaming service, temporary copies of songs are stored on your device. The OneMusic Dubbing Licence satisfies your obligations under the Copyright Act (1994) for the copying of music for the purposes of public performance.

It’s important to note that holding a Dubbing Licence does not grant you permission from the music streaming platform itself to use their service in a business or commercial setting. In most cases the terms and conditions of music streaming services do not allow you to use their service in a business or commercial setting.

Learn more about the music dubbing licence here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is the licensing brand for APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. OneMusic licenses businesses that use music on behalf of APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who return the licence fees collected to music creators – songwriters, composers, music publishers, recording artists and record labels – as royalties.

Both are member organisations, which means that after administration costs all money collected is returned to music creators as royalties. Having permission to use music in a business setting is required by law, and a OneMusic licence grants businesses the permission they need to use virtually all music released from anywhere in the world.

Where does the money go?

While every licence is distributed differently, for background music played as a part of functions, licence fees are distributed using data we receive from commercial radio stations, student, community and iwi radio stations, background music suppliers and television networks.


Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.