Music at Work

Playing music at work can improve productivity and help to build team spirit. The OneMusic Workplace Licence allows you to harness the power of music to help make your workplace a great place for people to work.

The music in the workplace licence covers music played in workplaces for the benefit of employees. It covers music played in offices, warehouses, workshops and factories. 

The OneMusic Workplace Licence covers music played:

  • in general staff areas, including staff rooms
  • to staff at their desks
  • in staff training sessions
  • at on-site conferences, functions and seminars
  • to callers on hold


Music in the Workplace

Number of full time employees x $3.13
Music Dubbing $300.85
  • Music In The Workplace licences are subject to a minimum fee of $109.00.
  • Rates include GST, and apply to the period 1 October 2020 – 30 September 2021. Rates increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on the 1st October each year.
  • Music Dubbing is an additional fee and covers copying, downloading or streaming music (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube etc.) to play in your business. Learn more here.


Music on Hold

1 - 5 $290.10
6 - 10 $431.08
11 - 25 $725.47
26 - 50 $1452.34
51 - 100 $2517.47
101 - 200 $4514.46
201 - 300 $7367.57
301 - 400 $9740.88
Additional callers above 400 $25.40 each
  • Caller capacity is defined as the maximum number of held calls that can listen to music at any one time.
  • Rates include GST, and apply to the period 1 October 2020 – 30 September 2021.
  • Rates increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on the 1st October each year.


Why do I need a music licence to play music at work?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music outside of a domestic setting (including workplaces) is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs or use digital music services. A OneMusic licence grants businesses the legal permission they need to use virtually all music from anywhere in the world.

I have paid for the music I play, so why do I need a licence?

Simply buying music does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private / domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music. 

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a music streaming service - why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business setting you need the permission to do so. Additional permission is also needed when you download, copy or stream music in your business.

Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is the licensing brand for APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. OneMusic licenses businesses that use music on behalf of APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who return the licence fees collected to music creators – songwriters, composers, music publishers, recording artists and record labels – as royalties.

Both are member organisations, which means that after administration costs all money collected is returned to music creators as royalties.

Where does the money go?

We keep track of what New Zealanders are listening to - we collect data from music streaming services, background music suppliers, radio stations, television stations, music recognition software and live performers.

Each month we analyse over 330 million lines of data to direct the licence fees you pay as accurately as possible.

OneMusic was created by music rights organisations APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. After administration costs, all money is distributed to their local and international members as royalties.

Find out more from APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ.

Who can verify that I need a music licence?

Most councils, Citizens Advice Bureaus and industry trade organisations are familiar with the requirement to hold a music licence when using music in a business. The following organisations also host information regarding music licensing on their websites.



Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.