Music encourages people to train harder in the gym, provides the soundtrack for classes, and helps to reinforce the unique character of your brand.

However your exercise business uses music, a OneMusic licence grants you permission to use music quickly, easily and cost-effectively. Once you have a licence in place you will have the legal permission you need to use virtually all music from anywhere in the world, while supporting the people that make the music you and your members love.




Background Music $1.59 per member $366.60
Virtual / On-Demand Services $0.1297 per member $62.13
Group Fitness Classes $2.92 per class $62.13
Independent Personal Trainer / Instructor $223.68 $223.68
Music Dubbing $300.85  
  • Rates for Background Music, Virtual / On-Demand Services, Group Fitness Classes and Independent Personal Trainer / Instructors apply to the period 1 April 2021 - 31 March 2022, and increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on 1 April each year.
  • ​Rates for Music Dubbing apply to the period 1 October 2020 - 30 September 2021, and increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on 1 October each year.​
  • Personal trainers and instructors operating exclusively within Exercise Facilities will be covered by the Exercise Facility licence
  • REPs Personal trainers and instructors operating independently and running 4 or less personal training sessions per week are covered under their REPs licence
  • Virtual /on-demand services are an on-demand structured form of group exercise delivered by audio visual means, where an instructor or staff member is not present to guide or supervise participants. Where a class has an instructor or staff member present, this is defined as a Group Fitness Class.
  • Small Group Training sessions are covered by the Background Music tariff
  • A Small Group Training session is a session that takes place on the gym floor in a supervised setting, not in a dedicated ‘class’ setting, and where the music is not altered in any way at any time from the existing background music, this extends to include volume. A small group training session does not extend to include more than 10 participants at a time
  • Music Dubbing is an additional fee and covers copying, downloading or streaming music (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube etc.) to play in your business. Learn more here.


OneMusic is an official partner of the Exercise Association of New Zealand - an organisation that provides advice, education and advocacy on behalf of its members. They also advise on compliance issues, including music licensing requirements. Visit the Exercise Association of New Zealand website for more information.


Why does my business need a music licence?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music in your business is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs, use digital music services, or have live performers play in your business. A OneMusic licence grants you the legal permission you need to use virtually all music from anywhere in the world.

I have paid for the music I play, so why do I need a licence?

Simply buying music does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private / domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a music streaming service - why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business setting you need the permission to do so. Additional permission is also needed when you download, copy or stream music in your business.

Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is the licensing brand for APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. OneMusic licenses businesses that use music on behalf of APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who return the licence fees collected to music creators – songwriters, composers, music publishers, recording artists and record labels – as royalties.

Both are member organisations, which means that after administration costs all money collected is returned to music creators as royalties. 

Where does the money go?

We keep track of what New Zealanders are listening to - we collect data from exercise program suppliers, music streaming services, background music suppliers, radio stations, television stations, music recognition software and live performers.

Each month we analyse over 330 million lines of data to direct the licence fees you pay as accurately as possible.

OneMusic was created by music rights organisations APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. After administration costs, all money is distributed to their local and international members as royalties.

Find out more from APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ.

Who can verify that I need a music licence?

Most councils, Citizens Advice Bureaus and industry trade organisations are familiar with the requirement to hold a music licence when using music in a business. The following organisations also host information regarding music licensing on their websites.



Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.