The OneMusic Hospitality licence is tailor made for the hospitality industry, covering all the ways hospitality businesses use music - from playing background music to hosting Live bands, DJs and karaoke nights.

The OneMusic Hospitality Licence grants you the legal permission you need to use essentially all commercially released music available quickly, easily and cost-effectively. Once you have a licence in place you will have the legal permission you need to use our music from here and around the world, and support the people that make and own the music you enjoy in your business.

Download our Licence Guide for more information.

Hospitality Licence

Premises Area Restaurants / Cafes Pubs /
Live Performers* DJs* Karaoke*
0 49 m2 $358.00 $447.50 $14.08 $19.17 $14.08
50 99 m2 $434.71 $575.37 $15.34 $20.47 $15.34
100 149 m2 $511.43 $703.20 $16.62 $21.74 $16.62
150 199 m2 $588.14 $831.07 $17.91 $23.01 $17.91
200 249 m2 $644.86 $958.92 $19.17 $24.30 $19.17
250 299 m2 $741.57 $1,086.78 $20.47 $25.56 $20.47
300+m2 $818.30 $1,214.63 $21.74 $26.86 $21.74
$306.87 per premises
  • *Live performers, DJs and/or Karaoke are subject to a $35 ticket price threshold. Where performances have an advertised ticket price of $35 or more an APRA AMCOS Event Licence will be required. In addition, if sound recordings are used, a Recorded Music NZ Event Licence is required.
  • A restaurant/café is a business whose primary focus is on the service of food to customers.
  • A pub/bar is a business whose primary focus is on the service of drinks to customers.
  • Where a business has both restaurant and bar areas, only one licence is required and should be calculated based on the cumulative premises area applying the pub/bar.
  • The premises area is defined as the public area where music is played and is measured in square metres. ​
  • Music Dubbing is an additional fee and covers copying, downloading, or using a digital music service (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube) to play in your business. Learn more here.
  • If you play exclusively radio in your business, the background music fee is 50% of the published rates in columns 2 and 3 above.
  • Radio includes local and national radio stations (e.g. The Hits, The Breeze and George FM). It does not include internet radio stations or digital music services.
  • Rates include GST and are valid from 1 October 2021 - 30 September 2022. Rates increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on 1 October each year.

OneMusic is an official partner of the Restaurant Association of New Zealand and Hospitality New Zealand.
Both organisations provide advice, education and advocacy on behalf of its members. They also advise on compliance issues, including music licensing requirements. For more information, visit the Restaurant Association of New Zealand website here and Hospitality New Zealand website here.

Get more from the music your bar, restaurant or café. OneMusic has created PRESTO! a free e-book digging into how music drives customers to spend more and spend longer your business. Click here to start making the most of music

Why does my business need a music licence?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music in your business is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs, use digital music services, or have live performers or DJs play in your business. Your OneMusic licence gives you permission to play essentially all commercially released music from here and around the world.

I have paid for the music I play, so why do I need a licence?

Simply buying music does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private/domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a digital music service - why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business you need the permission to do so. Additional permission is also needed when you download, copy, or use a digital music service in your business.

Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. Many music creators around the world earn an income by granting organisations, like ours, the right to collect and pay their royalties.

OneMusic simplifies the licensing process and allows music users to meet their copyright obligations to play our music in their business.

Where does the money go?

When you hear about music royalties, that’s what we do.

Your OneMusic licence fee is distributed by APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who are the companies behind OneMusic. Each organisation has a commitment to their music creators and their own distribution policies.

Every month over 330 million lines of music data is analysed from digital music services, background music suppliers, radio stations, television stations, live performers and more. Live performances are directly distributed to music creators using performance data provided to us by musicians who have performed at venues.

After minimal administration costs all money collected is paid to our local and international music creators – songwriters, composers, publishers, recording artists and record labels.

Find out more from APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ.

Who can verify that I need a OneMusic licence?

Click here to find out more about why you need a licence and the authenticity of our rights from other industry and government bodies and New Zealand associations.

I'm hosting an event with a ticket price or entry fee of $35 or more - what licences do I require?

For all performances with an advertised ticket price or entry fee of $35 or more, event licences are required for each event.

For performances that are live only (for example a live band) an APRA event licence is required. For events that include both live music and recorded music (for example bands and DJs), a licence is required from both APRA for the rights to perform musical works, and Recorded Music NZ for the rights to perform sound recordings. 

Apply for event licences here:



Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.