Music Dubbing

Streaming, copying, reproducing or recording music requires the permission of music creators.

Many businesses need an additional OneMusic Dubbing licence. This extra level of permission is required when making physical or digital copies of music, or using music streaming services.

When you:

  • Play music from a streaming service (e.g Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Soundcloud etc.)
  • Reproduce, download or sync music on digital devices (e.g. iPod, Apple Media, GooglePlay etc.)
  • Digitise, copy or transfer music to CD, USB and other digital devices
  • Listen to international radio or non-simulcast internet radio (e.g. iHeart Radio, Rova, BBC etc.)

A OneMusic Dubbing Licence is required in addition to your OneMusic Background Music Licence.


I already pay to download or stream music, why do I need a OneMusic Music Dubbing Licence?

OneMusic exists to ensure permission is in place for businesses to play music. We do not represent music streaming services, we represent music creators.

Just like any other music. When you use a music streaming service what you pay them and the terms you agree with them, specify the music being played is for personal, private use only.

The Dubbing Licence reflects the permission required in Copyright Act.

If you choose to use a music streaming service in your business, make sure you check terms and conditions of use

I already have a OneMusic licence, why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business setting you need permission to do so. Additional permission also applies when downloading, copying or streaming music.

Under the Copyright Act (1994), these rights are distinct and have different treatments and restrictions:

  • Background Music covers music played in a non-domestic setting 'public performance' Section 16
  • Music Dubbing covers copying music; or caching music from the streaming platform onto your device; outside of personal use Section 81A

How much is a Music Dubbing licence?

The OneMusic Dubbing fee breaks down to just over 80 cents per day, in addition to a Background Music Licence.

Each business is charged this extra fee annually per premises, and it is the same rate across all business types.

View rates for Music Dubbing on the licence page for your industry here.

How do I pay?

Once your application is received we’ll email you an invoice, which can be paid by bank transfer or credit card.

Full payment of the annual invoice within 14 days attracts a 5% prompt payment discount.

We also have a helpful finance team who can work with you on payment options.

What other ways can I play music in my business?

If you don’t download, copy or stream music in your business you do not need the additional OneMusic Dubbing Licence.

If you hold a OneMusic Background Music licence you can play music using:

  • New Zealand radio stations*,
  • Original CDs and DVDs
  • Televisions stations
  • Vinyl and tapes

A Background Music Service* might also be an option for your business. Find out more here

*Conditions apply.


Where does the money go?

We keep track of what New Zealanders are listening to - we collect data from music streaming services, background music suppliers, radio stations, television stations, music recognition software and live performers.

Each month we analyse over 330 million lines of data to direct the licence fees you pay as accurately as possible.

OneMusic was created by music rights organisations APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. After administration costs, all money is distributed to their local and international members as royalties.

Find out more from APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ.

What happens if I don't hold a licence?

To be fair to the businesses that hold a OneMusic Licence, and to the music creators who own the songs being played, OneMusic checks music use in all different types of business across New Zealand.

We provide those playing music with all the information they need and are happy to answer any questions.

If a business unfortunately refuses a Licence, even after many attempts by OneMusic to help them understand their legal obligations, we go down a legal route and may commence proceedings for copyright infringement under the Copyright Act (1994).


Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.