Retail + Services

Playing music in-store can be as important as how you display your products, the lighting you choose and your store fit-out.

A OneMusic music licence gives you the permission you need to harness the magic of music in-store. When you hold a OneMusic licence you are supporting the people that make the music you love, while covering off your legal obligations when playing music in a business setting.



0-49m2 $308.75
50-99m2 $370.51
100-149m2 $444.60
150-499m2 $568.09
500-999m2 $926.22
1000-1999m2 $1312.17
2000-4999m2 $1889.53
5000m2 $1889.53 + $247.00 per additional 2000m2 (or part thereof)
  • If you use music streaming services (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube), or copy music to play in your business you need to pay both a Background Music and a Music Dubbing fee.
  • Music Dubbing covers the reproduction and / or temporary storage (caching) of music copied for the purposes of public performance. The Music Dubbing fee is in addition to the background music fee, and is required for businesses that use music streaming services, digital music services, or copy music for the purposes of playing in their business. Learn more about music dubbing here.
  • If you play exclusively radio in your business, the background music fee is 50% of the rates above. Radio includes local and national radio stations (for example The Hits, The Breeze and George FM), however does not include internet radio stations or streaming services.
  • Premises area is the area where music is played that is accessible to the public (not including staff or stock rooms), and is measured in square metres.
  • Rates include GST and are valid from 1 October 2019 - 30 September 2020. Rates increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on 1 October each year.



OneMusic is a preferred supplier partner of Retail NZ - New Zealand's leading retail trade association. Retail NZ assists its members by providing retail advice, member benefit savings, industry information and education, and is the main retail industry lobby group to government. They also provide advice on compliance issues, including music licensing requirements. Visit the Retail NZ website for more information


Why does my business need a music licence?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music in your business is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs, use digital music services, or have live performers play in your business. A OneMusic licence grants you the legal permission you need to use virtually all music from anywhere in the world.

I have paid for the music I play, so why do I need a licence?

Simply buying music does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private / domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a music streaming service - why do I need a dubbing licence?

When you play music from a streaming service, temporary copies of songs are stored on your device. The OneMusic Dubbing Licence satisfies your obligations under the Copyright Act (1994) for the copying of music for the purposes of public performance.

It’s important to note that holding a Dubbing Licence does not grant you permission from the music streaming platform itself to use their service in a business or commercial setting. In most cases the terms and conditions of music streaming services do not allow you to use their service in a business or commercial setting.

Learn more about the music dubbing licence here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is the licensing brand for APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. OneMusic licenses businesses that use music on behalf of APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who return the licence fees collected to music creators – songwriters, composers, music publishers, recording artists and record labels – as royalties.

Both are member organisations, which means that after administration costs all money collected is returned to music creators as royalties. 

Where does the money go?

Each year OneMusic collects approximately $3.3 million in licence fees from retail stores playing background music. Of this, $1.12 Million (approximately 34%) is distributed directly to the artists of the songs played by businesses using data supplied by background music suppliers.

The remainder is distributed by analogy – an approximation of what was played using data from other sources, including commercial radio stations, student, community and iwi radio stations, television networks, music streaming services and background music suppliers.

Who can verify that I need a music licence?

Most councils, Citizens Advice Bureaus and industry trade organisations are familiar with the requirement to hold a music licence when using music in a business. The following organisations also host information regarding music licensing on their websites.



Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.